Monday, May 4, 2009

Who Better To Save The World Than A....

HERO!

Or multiple, since the show phenomenon is entitled Heroes. That's right, the NBC show that captivated the world and definitely caught my attention to the point of obsession (and everyone knows it). For those who have seen the show, you will agree that it is amazing; and for those who have not, I urge you to start. Once you get hooked, you will not be able to stop. *You will see where I am going with this as soon as you reach the end of my blog. I decided to use a creative attention getter to get your attention. HAHA*

Okay, so, in this show, normal people all over the world discover they have special abilities. Take for instance, Claire (played by Hayden Panattierre) who cannot be hurt, harmed, injured, or, for lack of a better term, die at all in the show! She is joined by Peter Petrelli (played by Milo Ventimiglia) who has the ability to absorb other people abilities and pass them as his own. I could go on about the cast, but you get the idea. Basically, it becomes a battle between good and evil, as many science-fiction shows are. But what really draws the attention of so many are the visual effects and the way the story continues, each web interweaving. The real battle takes place with every hero coming in contact in ways that you would never expect.

So where am I going with this? Isn't it obvious already? It is about obsession. The way the media and entertainment industry can bring people to a point where they can't miss the next episode. It happens all the time with baseball or basketball; it's just a different market doing the work. And the kicker is that these industries know exactly what they're doing and know how to do it well.

For example, when the Heroes finale was on, is was Monday, April 27th. I was in my room, and suddenly my mom came in to tell me that I had another neice. Instead of being excited, I told her to get out. My show was on! I know that I may have gone to an extreme here, but I do not think I was the only one this has happened to while watching a show. The way the media is involved with this is through the advertisements and announcements telling people to buy and buy and buy all the stuff that deals with the show. Season packages and desktop wallpapers are all purchased by people because THE MEDIA has told them to do it. And who wouldn't listen to the media. It is very convincing!

If you agree, you will understand where I coming from on this. Although my example was trivial, because, I can safely say that I know people who are the exact same way about their favorite team, or favorite star. Even if the show they watch is an awards show or a movie, it is the media that draws people in and makes them WANT to watch.

If you have a show you cannot miss, think about it? What makes you watch it? Your subconscious or a reminder on the television saying that it is coming up. How about a billboard or a annoucnement in the paper. It's just one of the many ways the Entertainment Industry and the Media come together for a common good.

**One more quick thing: Watch for Season Five of Heroes coming to NBC soon!

5 comments:

  1. Kyle-
    Even though I cannot relate to being addicted to a TV show I am addicted to other forms of media like websites! I check like ten websites many times throughout the day, like Facebook, MySpace Inforum, Weather.com, Hotmail, and VCSU Email. This has been especially true ever since school has gone online. I'm always on my computer so I usually have at least one of those sites open while I'm doing my homework. I feel like if I don't check them, I don't feel unconnected to the rest of society. Because who knows when one of my Facebook friends is going to add a new photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that the media has become an obsession in our culture. I know for a while the big show was Lost, which I believe is still going on. I am definitely guilty of following sports in what some would call an obsessive way. Right now, I'm watching the NBA playoffs every night and I rarely go a day without watching ESPN for at least half an hour. And if all else fails and I'm away from a TV or computer, I'll tune in the radio to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle-

    Love the post! My husband is obsessed with this show! He loves HEROS. And my brother loves LOST. Anything sci-fi to these two men is there thing! I think they even both watch Battlestar Gallactica, and Star Trek. Oh god.... to much sci-fi for me. However, I have heard really great things about this show. You post an excellent comment about how the media plays a very large part in telling people to buy, buy, buy! The media is not only convincing but it's manipulative and persuasive. I pretty much die every fall season when I see glimmers of the new NIP/TUCK season approaching, immediately I hop onto FX's website to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle,
    I did see the first season of Heroes and I really liked it. I couldn’t stop watching it actually, I was up until all hours of the morning getting caught up. Of course, after the I finished the first season I took a break from it but now that I read your blog I REALLY want to get started in on the show again. Thanks, Kyle, like I don’t have enough to do. LOL. Anyway, yes it is an obsession but for me it is just an excellent example of excellent writing. It is incredibly difficult to write shows with such complexity and being able to end every show leaving the audience thinking, “oh my gosh, I have to watch the next show.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting viewpoint – I like that you are speaking your opinions of the blogs. You made me think about the television shows I normally watch. Usually I tune into the HGTV channel, trying to win that dream home, and do-it-yourself shows yet there is one exception, 24 with Kiefer Sutherland.

    I am not sure how the writers do it but at the end of every episode they give you such a teaser for the next show that you have to watch the next week to see what is going to happen next.

    I have never been so thankful for the invention of a DVR. I can skip through all the commercials and watch the show uninterrupted, yahoo. I must admit at the end of each episode I am stoked to see the next show – thank goodness I have a lot of patience.

    ReplyDelete