Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Technological Burden



So, four years ago I bought a brand new Dell Computer. I was so excited because I had a very old Mac in my room which was not serving the purposes I wanted. I spent $850 on this computer, a reasonable price for a 15-year-old I would say. Well, my mother decided she wanted to have a better computer downstairs for her use as well (and, her typical use on the computer is to check email and sign-up for the Keith Urban fan whatever). Within two weeks, we each had a new computer coming to us, and a week after that, wireless internet hooked up for them both.
It was not long after this that I decided I should have talked my mother out of this purchase of her computer. I didn't know how to tell her but she did not know how to use the computer as well as she thought. She called my downstairs one day and told me the Internet was broken. I looked at her with one of those my parents don't understand anything looks and she told me that the site she wanted to access--hotmail--was not allowing her on and that meant the Internet was broken. I told her that hotmail was a site and that is not what controlled the functionality of the internet. She, of course, being the mom, tried to convince me that I was wrong. Easily, I logged into facebook and proved to her that I knew more about technology than she did.
It seems funny, when you think about it, that everyday functions are now being done by the computer. What once took hours now takes seconds. Communication is at the push of a button instead of the end of the Pony Express. The older generations do not have the same grasp of technology that those under 20 or 30 have. It is all to do with how they grew up.
For instance, if we look at my mother, a computer was introduced to her at the same time it was to me. Since I was still in school and was young enough to grasp the concept, this modern device came easily to me. My mother, not so much. It is not easy to teach an old dog new tricks.
Would it make sense to sit down with every adult and teach them these technological advancements? Probably not. Some, given time, can come to solve the basic problems, but most cannot come to understand all of the keys and functions without step-by-step instructions.

If one thinks about it, it will not be long before our generation is too old to fully comprehend all the latest gadgets and gizmos. Technology is constantly changing: Hybrid cars, GPS, ect.

Soon, the world will be run by computers. The movie iRobot gives some depth on this idea, as does Eagle Eye. Both show the burden of having technology that is too advanced for its human counterparts. If this result will ever happn, no one can be sure, but soon, all the simple jobs will be gone. Education will be done by computers and human intelligence will become just that--human!

My mother did not know all there was about her computer when she bought it and we do not know all about the computers we are now creating. Whether there is a connection, no one can say. Just wait and see!

Personally, I cannot wait for super smart computers....ones that will do MY homework for me. :)

6 comments:

  1. Kyle-

    Your story reminds me of something my parents would do too. My mom has recently even started Tweeting, but back in the day, she had a hard time understanding computers and the internet. I love technology and all of its advancements, but sometimes I worry about things happening like they did on Eagle Eye. I like the idea of smarter technology (because I get mad at it oh-so much!), but at the same time, I hope I never become too dependent on it.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand you, when you talk about your parents not knowing much about technology. Sometimes it almost drives me crazy when they start asking all the questions and insist that something is broken. Also, it is never their fault, it is always something wrong with the computer. I am excited to see what new technology will bring. It is almost scary to think about what they will come out with next. I remember when I was younger, I always thought when I was older we would be driving cars like the Jetsons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle,
    You have an excellent point. I notice it with my parents all the time. They are constantly asking me what is wrong with the computer and the sad thing is I am not that computer savvy either. The thing is I know there will definitely come a day when I will be saying to my kids “this thing is broken,” when it really isn’t.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unlike the other two posts my mom and dad are actually very good with computers. As am I, even my grandpa. We use computers on a regular basis. My mom uses her new pc for her electrical business, and my dad uses his laptop for his car-lot business. And I use computers for online courses all the time! So I have to know my way around, and when I first started on blackboard, it took me forever to get use too! I had no clue on how to use it, and it even affected some of my grades earlier on because I didn't know how to handle it. Haha. I love computers. But, as you mentioned in your blog it can be kind of scary when things are more technologically advanced. I keep thinking about this scene from Live Free or Die Hard, the new one with Justin Long. Anyways, in the plot they talk about something called firewalls or soemthing like that. Anyways- this fire wall thing is totally ran by computers and its amazing what happens in the movie because these villans pretty much run the entire US by a computer. It's just amazing what computers can really do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom can manage her e-mail (the only reason why she got it was for when she used to sell Avon). She is pretty good at navigating other sites and has bought airplane tickets, Twins baseball tickets, and a camera onlne recently. However, I don't think my dad even knows how to turn a computer on.

    It is crazy how dependent our society has become on technology. I have been on my computer liteally all day doing homework. It is crazy to think that I am finishing the school year completely onlne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyle,

    Be careful what you wish for. My parents sound exactly like yours, or at least they used to. I think of technology like a language. It’s much harder to learn the older you get. However, once I taught my parents how to use a computer, they’ve gotten worse than me; well maybe not quite, but still. My dad asks me constantly if I’m done and my mom loves Facebook and playing Scrabble online. It’s cute actually. I think the trick was to show them content online that they would be interested in and the rest was pretty simple.

    ReplyDelete