Monday, March 23, 2009

When in Europe...

Do as the Europeans do?
Okay, it does not quite flow the same, but still, it was a cultural experience unlike anything else.

42 residents of Valley City (or nearby) travelled to Europe for Spring Break and it was truly a culture shock. We travelled first to Amsterdam, and right away, saw people whom we would never have called different than ourselves. At points, it was hard to remember which face belonged to our group because they all looked alike.

When I prepared for this trip, I expected the basic Eurotrip type feeling: Girls in bikinis accompanied by a lot of alcohol and drugs. True, all of this was there, but what lay hidden away behind was a culture that we may have long forgotten about. These people live in a place that has such a unique design and natural beauty, I could not believe people take it for granted. This website, which gives basics on the Red Light District, said something I found very believable: They have all this, but that is not what they are about! Having seen it, I can truly say I believe it is true.

The thing that really got me while in Amsterdam was the Anne Frank House, which is now a museum. If you have not seen it or read the book, I feel pity on you (not to be mean). But, of course, this book is way too popular to not be read, so crises averted. Back on track, we were allowed inside the house in which this family hid for nearly two years; one can't help but feel a brand new respect for what these people went through. People sat, staring at the walls--ones that Anne had seen every day--and cried. It was hard not too! This is something we grew up hearing. It's the same with 9/11. It is one thing hearing about the towers going down, but when I went to New York in April last year, and saw the GAP where the towers used to stand, it brings a whole new perspective on everything.


Another huge cultural experience was in the cuisine: Croquettes! These are like a meal that has been deep-fried. They are quite tasty (in moderation) and found to be quite enjoyable. Along with these, the Pancake Houses were extravagant. At one point, a student had a pizza on his flapjack. Another received a pancake that was topped entirely with ice cream. Our waitress couldn't believe that we did not top our pancakes as such. She was even more shocked when we compared sizes. "But they are dis thick, no?" she asked. And we explained that in America, we stack our pancakes. I swear, she about fainted.

Our trip then took us across water to London. It was comparable to our New York or L.A., except with more history. And boy, did it have history. For one, Westminster Abbey took me completely by surprise. There lay people that had formed their country. They were responsible for great things: Handel and his music, Shakespeare and his writing, Mary, Queen of Scots and whatever it is that she did.

Basically, through this blog, I wanted to capture just a little bit of what their culture has taught me about my own. I want to know about the stereotypes that people from Holland or England think when they come to the states. The one thing I did not sense was the Eurotrip environment.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a blast. I am somewhat jealous! I have tons of family in Holland. I miss them dear, as my father is Dutch so am I. I have always always wanted to go to Holland! It was neat of you to admit you expected the Eurotrip stereotype. Honest to say the least. I think we think things are going to be a certain way and they aren't. It always happens to me haha! I bet visiting the Frank house was truly touching. I can only imagine the emotions that evoke from that home. Is that one tree still out in front of it? I remember a few years ago they wanted to destroy the tree there because of some tree disease. However, they kept it to insure and maintain the integrity of the houses history! I really love your blog this week, it touches home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had an amazing trip! I would love to go to Europe. Hearing some of the interesting facts you have stated in your blog was entertaining and makes me want to learn more about Europe and its culture. I find it very interesting that every place has its own culture and how they can all be so different. I also find it interesting that you mentioned the movie Eurotrip and how Europe was much more than just what that movie shares. That goes to show that media has a big impact on how they make people's look at different places and their culture's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound like you have fun, Kyle. I would love to venture to Europe sometime! I can imagine the culture shock, though. One thing I think is funny was the story you told about the pancakes. It's amazing how food varies so much among cultures. A friend of mine went to Canada a year ago and told me she ate at a restaurant that served apple pie topped with cheddar cheese. She assumed it was a Canadian thing because she'd never heard of this before. Curiously, she asked why they put cheese on their apple pie. The waitor said, "I don't know; it's an American thing." And actually, I looked it up and it IS an American tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle,

    I’m very jealous of your trip to Europe! I’ve always wanted to travel, and Europe is one destination in particular that I would love to see. It seems like you guys have a very enjoyable trip. I’ve never seen Europtrip myself, so I can’t say that I have the “Eurotrip” stereotype in mind. In fact, it may seem weird, but I don’t really have any particular picture in my mind of what I think it will be like. I think that’s maybe why I’m so eager to go and find out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you bring up a very good point about your perception of Amsterdam. For many years I have been saying that what I know of Europe comes from the Media and Travel shows. Even though travel shows are for pleasure and the media is informational both do the same thing when it comes to reporting, they both looks for the stories that are “sensationalized.”

    Can you picture a story on Amsterdam that focused on the local music and food? How would that do for the Nielsen ratings? Not well. So they put in more content on the Red Light District to shock people into viewing the program,

    I am glad you too the time to visit the Anne Frank house – what a tragic / heartfelt story. I like that the home reminds people of the horrors of what happens when one sect/religion/nation tourtures another simply for being different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved England so much. It was a bit of culture shock in both places to see how different things were from America and even the differences from the Netherlands and England. The Anne Frank House was really difficult to see. I loved Europe, though, and I can’t wait to go back. The only problem that I had was that it was just too short of a trip. Don’t you think?

    ReplyDelete