Tuesday, February 3, 2009

That's Our Culture

A 78-year-old man is tossed like a rag doll on a highway in Connecticut. He lays motionless on the ground, bleeding, and alone. That is to say, except for the dozens of citizens driving right past him. One man on a scooter circled around the body, taking pictures on his mobile phone. No one bothered to call for help, and by the time help did arrive, it was far too late. The man had already died.
What does this story tell us? Old men should watch where they are walking? Men on scooters have great hand-eye coordination? Or that people did not care enough to use their cell phone (which most everyone has nowadays) to call the police and get this man help? He died, not because of his clumsiness, but because people did not help him.
On Saturday, January 31, my car rolled three times on my way to Finley, North Dakota, for a speech competition. I was able to get myself out, but was without help. I figured the best thing for me to do would be walk to Oriska, which was four miles south. A kind family arrived, and allowed me to use their phone and sit in their truck for warmth.
However, this is not what shocked me. While my car remained upside down as it had landed, dozens of vehicles stopped to rescue me. I never expected to watch people rush to my car to help. I had been helping a student out at BCN write a speech on the Bystander Effect, and proving that it did in fact occur. After my incident, I could no longer help her.
The Bystander Effect is when people will not help someone in trouble because of another person around the same vicinity. If there are several people around, then many will choose not to help. It is not their problem: It is the way we have been raised. Our culture has taught us to watch out for Number One. Keeping ourselves safe has been programmed into our brains from the time we are toddlers until the time we are 78.
Why is this? Why do we choose not to help someone in need? Is it just country folks that help? This phenomenon started in 1964, with Kitty Genovese. She was walking home one day and was viciously stabbed outside her apartment. The killer flocked off when people showed up, but no one called the police or tried to help Genovese. The killer returned and stabbed her once again, until she was officially dead.
People seem to sit back and watch as people die. All around us; we are all guilty. There is something wrong with the way our society is being raised. We no longer care enough for our neighbor and this is going to create a mess load of problems in the future. Think of it this way: If a 78-year-old man was tossed and you drove by, would you stop to help? What if that person was you?

8 comments:

  1. Wow Kyle! I was near Finley this weekend. I was in Cooperstown moving in to a house. How nuts is that! In addition, how scary that accident must have been, I know I always feel shaken after anything like that. I am sorry to hear about that. Those roads were terrible, especially with all that wind. As soon as I saw your picture, I knew that was Kitty Genovese. I know a lot about the bystander effect. Moreover, to answer your question, yes! If I saw a 78- year old man tossed on a road, of course I would stop by! No, matter what I would stop by! I wonder if your incident would have been different if you were like in Fargo or Bismarck for example. I wonder if a bigger city would promote more help or actually do the opposite. I love the story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post. It caught my attention in the first sentence. I can't believe that no one stopped to see if he was okay! Or that people were stopping to take pictures instead of help him. Amazing. I thought the subject of your post was really interesting and I like how you tied in the bystander effect with your news story. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing that story about the elderly Connecticut man and how sad it was. Being raised in rural North Dakota I was always taught to stop and see if someone needed help when they were stranded. I don't want to say we're better than anybody else, but I think our mindset out here is a little more in tune to what's going on around us. We also know that if we don't help the person, no one else may show up in time. I'm glad to hear you're okay and hope you can avoid any other close calls in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle-

    Sorry to hear about your car accident; that must've been quite scary! This story is really sad. I can't believe that people wouldn't even help the man, and that guy on the scooter just took pictures. I really believe that people around here would never do something like that; unfortunately I know that people in other parts of the country aren't so nice.

    Yes, I would definitely help him or any other person who was dying. If there was nothing I could do, I'd of course call the police. I don't see why anyone wouldn't (but maybe that's just because I was raised in the Midwest all my life).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story of the 78-year-old is very sad. I cannot believe the guy on the scooter was circling taking pictures on his phone. The first thing he should have been doing is calling for help. I think in our area people are way more willing to stop and help than in other parts of the country; especially around the smaller towns. I totally understand what you mean by when there are already people stopped helping at a scene, then nobody else seems to stop and try to help. I'm glad you are alright from your accident!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I’m glad you’re ok! I can’t believe the story about the Connecticut man. That is absolutely terrible! I do not understand what would possess someone to keep driving when they can definitely see that this man is hurt and needs help. The person on the scooter should be charged with something because that’s just sick. A man is dying and instead of helping him you’re taking pictures of him! What is wrong with you? It makes me happy that so many people stopped to help you. I wonder if their willingness to help has anything to do with where we live. I wonder if the views and lifestyles of people here in North Dakota and people in Connecticut are so different that it would affect basic decisions, such as whether they should stop to help or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, Kyle, I’m glad to hear you’re ok and I’m sorry about your vehicle. Anyway, I do think it is terrible what happened to this poor man. I can’t honestly say that I can even begin to know what goes on in someone’s mind for them not to call the police in a situation like that. I am just thankful that it is not like that around here. I do think it is a cultural thing. I think because North Dakotans do have a mind set of trying to help people and be kind to your neighbor. My sister lives in Maryland and she has even stated that out there they are just rude compared to here. Here if someone bumps into you they apologize, there if they bump into you they tell you to get the hell out of their way. So, no, that’s not our culture, it’s their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job kyle!!
    I really liked your blog. This attitude is not only found in this small place called valley city, but this is a common attitude of the people all across the world. Human beings live in civilised world, but when situation comes to proove themselves, everyone things, why me!!
    It not just the fault of the old man, i can even dream myself falling on the ground, badly injured, and no-one to help me out.
    That why someone had said, "Its Your War, And You Have To Fight It Out"

    ReplyDelete