Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Arts and Enter-tainment


Has the entertainment industry gotten a little lazy lately? Could that just be my own speculation? Well, if you look at it from a certain point of view, such as the summer hit Pineapple Express, where the movie is just a waste of money, then where exactly is the movie industry going?

For those who haven't seen Pineapple Express, it involves a man whose job is to serve his clients and smoke weed. Not an appropriate movie for some people, and an uncomfortable topic for others. The other character sells weed for a living. Together, these two go on an adventure to save themselves from two shady Asian killers. (That's honestly what they are!) And in the end, a building blows up and everybody dies except the pot smokers.

Believe it or not, this is the extent of the movie. The majority is filled with jokes about weed or someone getting their face thrown into a wall. This is the sad thing: This is where the movie industry is going. Movies are not focusing any longer on actual entertainment or cleverly written scripts with talented actors. Instead, we get two humor-obsessed actors striving to get that one last laugh.
This is not a new phenomenon either. This has been happening for quite a few years. If a movie is not a smash-hit in the first weekend, then its nothing. And this creates the problem with the way we as a society are living. Why is it that we idolize the actors who go out there and make fun of others for a living? Is that really something we want to be able to brag about?
When Superbad came out in 2007, it did amazing in the box office sales because it was a new type of movie, when in fact, it was just the start of a trend.
However, the actors are not always the problems. Sometimes, the director is the one making the bone-headed moves. The reason is simple: They messed up on a different film and instead of calling it quits, they have to try again. Steven Soderbergh had little luck with one film, so instead of learning from it and making changes, he creates another film that does not change his appearance to the public.
So where is the industry headed? Although 2008 had some record hits with movies such as Batman: The Dark Knight, the entire year was not as successful as they had originally predicted. If the industry relies on movies such as The Pineapple Express, then viewers are going to get tired fast.
According to Katie Hansen, she feels that the movie industry "is getting more artsy. Movies are going back to visualizations and clever stories, such as The Mysterious Case of Benjamin Button. Pixar is at its most sophisticated level yet, and Disney is going to go back to their original works. The industry as a whole is going to flourish, but the live action movies are going to get old."
Let's hope the movie industry does change, for the better, and movies are once again what they should be! Artwork as it is supposed to be; brilliant writing and actually storylines. The cheap pot-head movies are okay, but I would go for The Wizard of Oz anyday!

6 comments:

  1. My husband took me to go see Pineapple Express when it came to theaters; I fell asleep in the theater. I did not care for it, it had some funny parts and I didn't mind the subject. I just was not into it like he was. But, you raise an interesting point. Movies are my passion! I think though without these box office movies that come across lazy, we would lose the ability to compare them to the ones that are great! You know when something is good in comparison to something else that isn't. I also think even though they might have much of popular niche to them, there has to be someone out there that just loves the one film I don’t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not seen Pineapple Express or the newest batman movie. Sometimes those I enjoy the most are the cheesy, happily ever after kind. I don't enjoy (taking a risk by mentioning names here) Adam Sandler or John Cary movies. Somehow the slap stick isn't the same as it was when I was young. Everything has sexual undertones and I don't think that's necessary. I did accidently catch "P.S. I Love You" not too long ago and loved it. I cried through most of it but enjoyed every tear. Very nice insight into where the movie industry is going Kyle. Keep up your crusade to make movies worth the cost of going to the theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that movies nowadays are losing their credibility. I had heard of the "Pineapple Express" but didn't realize what the plot was. Having heard your synopsis I am glad that I haven't seen it. Immature movies like this take no effort, contribute nothing to society, and do not give our generation a good representation. If this the future of the movie industry I am not going to be interested in watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the movie industry has gone a little downhill. After I watched the movie "Pineapple Express" I was like seriously, I just sat through that whole movie to just watch everyone die except the pot smokers. Sure there were funny parts in the movie, but the movie was no award winning move to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see your point, and although I have not seen Pineapple Express, I am afraid I have to stick up for it. Just because you do not like a movie does not mean that the entire movie industry is going to hell. I agree that I definitely do not like every movie that I see. However, maybe someone else absolutely loved that movie. That is what is so great about the entertainment industry; it is so diverse. The main point of movies is to entertain. I think Superbad is a great example of this. Did it change my life? No, but it did make me laugh. I think that it is wonderful that directors, screenwriters, and actors have the ability to create things in new and individual ways. I think the Wizard of Oz is a great movie, but if every movie were exactly the same as the Wizard of Oz I do not think I would watch them. I understand where you are coming from though. If you really enjoy that old Hollywood style movie then unfortunately they are hard to come by today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyle,
    I agree, the cheap laugh lately has been the goal of movie makers. No one seems to want to take the time to write a really clever comedy. There was really only one part in Pineapple Express that I actually laughed; the rest just seemed to be nonsensical babbling. I can’t remember when I saw a comedy on the big screen that really made me laugh. Actually, the best comedy I’ve seen lately, was surprisingly on Lifetime! The movie was called Smother, it is with Dax Shepard, Diane Keaton and Liv Tyler. It was incredibly funny, you can go through OVGuidechannel.com to watch it, I strongly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete